Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Ideas to remove middle decking boards?

"BobMCT" wrote in message

On Sat, 05 Jul 2014 20:10:30 -0400, Chuck Finley
wrote:

On 07/05/2014 04:53 PM, Bob F wrote:
BobMCT wrote:
I'm in the process of replacing 1/2 my decking boards with new 5/4
x 6 boards. It works out to half the width of the deck measured
side to side. Where the old and the new meet I'll be
intermingling the old and new boards with a 32" intersection (kind
of like putting ones fingers together). The old decking used
concealed fasteners (which I hated). My question is: any ideas
how I can cut the old decking board midway across a joist without
destroying the adjacent two?

A sabre saw needs space below the board; a circular saw won't cut
the edge; an ocillating tool doesnt really make a straight line;
etc.

An oscillating tool will cut very straight if run against a straight
board edge. used one to shorten a kitchen cabinet and the joint
formewd by the cut edge and the wood end of the cabinet looked as
good as new.

A router with a 1/8" or 3/16" bit?

Wow, thanks Chuck. I have a router w/bit and never thought of that.
Also, the deck is at ground level so unfortunately no way to get under
it. But I like the router idea.

I suspect you'll need something other than a router as the length of the
cutting edge on bits smaller than 1/4 is too short to cut through the
boards. That's true of all the bits I have seen at least.

Maybe one of those zip tools like drywall guys use to cut out inside
electrical boxes?

--

dadiOH