Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.design
rickman rickman is offline

Default OT Which direction is your ceiling fan SUPPOSED to run?

On 7/5/2014 10:25 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 05 Jul 2014 14:39:02 -0400, rickman wrote:

There is your fallacy. The heat produced at the hot coil is largely
balanced by the cold at the cold coil (with the exception of the power
drawn from the outlet which is not trivial) but the cold coil does not
cool the air as much as the hot coil heats the are. Most of the heat
entering the cold coil is used to condense the water which does *not*
cool the air. The opposite of evaporative cooling is condensative
heating. Heat has to be extracted from the moisture to condense it
which does not cool the air while that same heat at the hot coil *does*
warm the air.

exactly what I said
Goodbye

That is *not* what you said. You said...

As for the de-humidifier producing heat - it only produced a fraction

of it's total power consumption as heat output. The heat coming off
the back of the unit is just heat removed from the air (and moisture)
entering the front of the unit.

Actually I'm not sure what this is saying, but it when you used the word
"fraction" it seems to imply that there is little heat produced in the
room. The opposite is true. Drawing say 200 watts from the outlet will
warm the room by several times that amount. The difference is the
latent heat of evaporation from the moisture when liquified being
returned to the room at the hot coil. So a dehumidifier is much like
running the AC and a heater to remove the moisture. You heat the room
by more than the power drawn from the outlet which in turn makes the AC
run longer to remove that heat.

When my house is not dry enough I turn the thermostat down another
degree or two. The AC runs a little longer removing more moisture and a
happy comfort level is achieved with a balance between being dry and
being cool. I'm looking for comfort, not a fixed temperature. Once the
air is wrung out I can turn the thermostat up again if I want. Much
easier than dealing with extra equipment and likely more cost effective
to boot. An AC is a great dehumidifier.

--

Rick