Posted to rec.woodworking

Default 2 garage doors

On Sat, 5 Jul 2014 19:02:48 -0700, "jloomis"
wrote:

One main problem is that this house is right on the ocean front.
Steel, etc. will rust, and rust quickly.
So, yes, I understand the problem.
I am a bit stumped so to speak.......
I like steel, and sheet metal, and pop rivets....
A door like this would have to be made out of stainless, and that just blew
it out of the water......
hummm?
I would love to try to come up with a wood airplane wing design, that is,
modified, for the doors.
Like these inexpensive hollow core have webs of cardboard....Now I would not
go that route.

A torsion box? I like them for a lot of things but it's going to make
a pretty heavy door.

Although structurally, and like a beehive, it is very strong, and
lightweight....

Well, "lightweight" is a relative term.