Posted to rec.woodworking
Morgans Morgans is offline

Default 2 garage doors

"jloomis" wrote

On my web page I made "Huge Doors" and I mean quite large......
They held up very well.
So, with the video, and more thoughts, I am still in the process of
developing a strategy that will work.
Thank You.
John

For doors this size, and I assume hinged at the outside, I would strongly
consider going with a steel u-channel on the outside, with z-channel or more
u-channel on the inside with foam tight in between the angles. Then skin
them with sheet metal, glued and pop riveted, then coat them with the wood
decoration on the outside. Weight will be the key, and you simply can not
build as lightly with wood as you can with steel, and still meet the
torsional rigidity that a door of those dimensions only supported at one
side will require with anything but a two sided structure.
--
Jim in NC

---