Posted to uk.d-i-y
Graham.[_5_] Graham.[_5_] is offline

Default Dimming an LED without wiring changes

On 5 Jul 2014 23:03:37 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

On Sat, 05 Jul 2014 23:21:12 +0100, Graham. wrote:

On 5 Jul 2014 20:05:32 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

A bit strange, this but perhaps someone has an idea or two.

I've just installed a rackmount KVM at home. Very nice, far better than
the old Belkin one.

It has a green power indicator LED on the front panel which is FAR too
bright! The rack almost faces my desk, and it's dazzling.

I could just stick insulation tape over it but I'd rather just dim it
down a bit. I don't want to open the thing up, so any ideas? Semi opaque
tape perhaps (suggestions?)

IKWYM Bob D-Link by day

https://flic.kr/p/oby9rf

D-Link by night

https://flic.kr/p/odAgVB

It makes a good nightlight for my grandson, apart from the flicker.

Do the LEDs shine through the plastic like my switch, or to they poke
through holes.

If the former then take it apart and put a layer or two of paper between
the case and the PCB.

Unfortunately, as I said, this is rack mounted. And I really don't want
to take it apart.

I fixed it with the Blu-tack - nothing else needed. I liked the sweet
paper and anti static plastic ideas but then you need to fix them on. The
Blu-Tack is all you need.

(Incidentally, it's a quite nice Aten KVM. I use nothing else these days
but all the others I have are the desktop models)

I like my HP switches - you can actually choose (via the web interface)
how bright the LEDs are!

Thanks everyone.

I'll see your HP, switch and raise you this Netgear router.

https://flic.kr/p/ofqpYB

The dome LEDs serve absolutely no useful purpose.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%