Posted to alt.home.repair

Default replacing 32" x 22" wood frame basement windows

On Fri, 4 Jul 2014 19:51:54 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

many like glass block thinking it more secure. my mom was like that. the small vents didnt do much for ventilation, caused a mold problem in basement and later I got ill scrubbing, bleaching and painting with drylock paint and anti mold stuff in a semi gloss paint. The basement looked great but I was sick for a month from the fumes even with fans.

think about this any home is only as secure as a burglar convenient window or kicking in a door.

I thought about keeping the home and if I had I would of replaced the glass block with hopper windows.

burglars want to do their work quickly, not wriggling into a below ground window. they are burgars because they are lazy.

at my moms house they tried to kick in a door, the extra long shackle deadbolt stopped them the shackle went thru the house framing around the door.....

easy ventilation by opening a window has real value.

incidently around here a person was in their basement with glass block windows, they had a kitchen fire, were trapped in the basement.......

They wouldn't have gotten out most "hopper" windows either. With a
22" perhaps, depending on the window well. Doesn't meet code as an
egress .