Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RogerN RogerN is offline

Default 55 horsepower motor can run on 25kva transformer

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message ...

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
For that sized motor..45 KVA is a requirement

According to the bookmarked site's calc, it takes 166.187kva to run
that motor properly. Where did you get the 45kva number?

The calculator gives 166.187 KVA for a GENSET that will start the motor. A
transformer has the capacity of the grid behind it to provide the starting
surge, a genny needs to provide the peak current all by itself.
-jsw

I wonder if an AC drive would be of any benefit? I'm guessing the used
market for 55HP drives may not have as much demand as smaller home shop size
drives.

My 10HP drive on my 7.5HP lathe runs around 13A at idle on the motor side
but only draws 5A from the outlet. If my understanding is correct, the 13A
is mostly apparent power while the 5A is more representative of the true
power. Perhaps a drive would do better at getting close to 25KW from the
25KVA transformer and handle the VAR on the motor side.

RogerN