Posted to rec.woodworking

Default 2 garage doors

"jloomis" wrote:

I have a client wishing me to build 2 garage doors.
I need to make them lightweight, non-warping.
The sizes of each door is about 12 ft. height, and each about 5 ft.
width..
(maybe more....not measured yet)
I would like to do a honeycomb pattern...I did see sing panels
online.
I would like to make these at home also...in my shop.
Cedar 1x6 on the exterior in a sun burst pattern...
1/4 " marine ply interior.....foam 1 1/2" filler
Just trying to come up with a workeable idea.
I have built doors like these in the past, and realize the issues
involved.
I would like to use a frame of Cedar or.......2x4 or 2x6....with a
channel to accept the 1x6.....
I also have used threaded rod, to hold panels together.....
Just throwing out a light of thoughts, and wondering if there is any
direction that one may know?

After Hurricane Andrew tore up a major piece of South Florida,
overhead garage doors were developed that could withstand
a 2"x4"x96" being used as a projectile fired from a compressed
air cannon.

The result was the fiberglass skin over urethane foam core
panel.

I've done a lot of this type of fiberglass work, but would not
attempt to build them when commercial product is so relatively
available.

Once you have the base panel, you could add whatever you like
to decorate using 3M 5200 as an adhesive.

Good luck.

Lew