Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Does my air conditioner need service

On 7/3/2014 9:41 AM, Rebel1 wrote:

Does the unit need servicing, like maybe a refrigerant charge? It's a
Rheem, newly installed in 2000. So far, never need any servicing.

As I looked closer a few minutes ago, I see what may have been the
problem. During the winter, a portion of the return air is routed to the
humidifier via a separate duct, and thus bypasses the evaporator. I just
noticed that the damper in this duct was in the open Winter position,
instead of closed Summer position. I just changed it back to Summer.
Let's see what happens.

Getting down to 68 may also be reaching the design limits of the unit
for a 90 degree day. Can I assume you have done that before?

If the changes you make above don't solve the problem, it may need
service. Usually a professional cleaning so the coils work at peak
efficiency and a check that you have enough refrigerant charge to work
properly. If a \minor loss, it would work OK, but not up to peak
cooling capacity. .