Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Safety Tempered glass = "toughened"?

On Thursday, July 3, 2014 12:58:18 PM UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 03/07/14 09:03, Tim Watts wrote:
While I'm looking at all the glass, does the kitemark and wordss in the
bottom right of the glass he

https://www.flickr.com/photos/timjwa...19745/sizes/o/

"Safety Tempered"

mean what I understand by "Toughened Glass" - ie Building Regs compliant
for 800mm off the floor and the stuff that breaks into cubes?

Old doors - just want to address any issues as I have kids...

The front door (even older) has a lower and an upper pane of plain glass
- damn sure that's not toughened. But with that I could mitigate by
fitting a pretty (relatively) decorative wire mesh over the inside.

Or reglaze it - in which case it would be a perfect candidate for a
panel of that new Pilkington vacuum double glazing as it will be the
only single glazing left in the house...

You might think I'm fussing - but we had a nasty case of another kid in
the village feel through some annealed glass (greenhouse type thin to be
fair) but got a VERY bad cut up arm. Did not occur to me to check but
now I have, it would be sensible to remedy or mitigate...

I would go to a glazier and explain what you have and ask for something
compliant with latest regs. No, I don't think you are fussing AT ALL.
Building regs are - apart from eco and disability tampering - very very
sane attempts to get good safety and building practice instilled. It

Attempts that sometimes succeed, and sometimes dont. Too often dont for my liking. There are plenty of 100+ year old houses, before the days of BR, which are fine in not all respects, but nearly all.

only takes on mistake and kids are scarred for life.

On the other hand it only takes a slew of senseless regs and they're working their arses off for life to pay for so much unnecessary expense & work. Freedom & opportunities lost. I dont give a monkey's if my ceiling deflects more than 3mm across its width, or if a partition wall frame was built from scrap. I dont mind if above head height glazing is 3mm either. There's good in BR but way too much waste too.

If BR were wiped out tomorrow I'd build a house in papercrete. It would have more insulation than any normal house, cost less, and I'd willingly bet on it lasting - its my cost if it needs repair later.

In fact its BR that stops so much good housing being built, and so much progress being made. Of course it has its upside, but if it were drafted with more wisdom it wouldnt be such a drain on the nation.

NT