Posted to alt.home.repair
V Ague V Ague is offline

Default Does my air conditioner need service

On 07/03/2014 08:10 AM, Rebel1 wrote:
Last night I returned home from a month long vacation. Outside temperature was about 90, and the humidity was very high. I turned the a/c on and set the thermostat to 68 degrees. The a/c ran for at least four hours, and the place felt much cooler, but the temperature was still at least 74 degrees. I'm sure it felt cool because the humidity was lower, but the temperature didn't fall.

The nice thing about this system is that it's quiet because the air speed is normally low, but this means the unit runs longer, especially for large changes to the thermostat setting.

Does the unit need servicing, like maybe a refrigerant charge? It's a Rheem, newly installed in 2000. So far, never need any servicing.

Thanks,

Ray

Do you know what a thermometer is? Do you know how to use it properly?

What was the indoor air temperature before you started the AC?

What was the indoor temperature after the AC ran for 4 hours?

What is temperature of the air coming from your ducts?

Is the outdoor unit running?

What is the temperature of the air going into the outdoor unit?

What is the temperature of the air coming from the outdoor unit?