Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Safety Tempered glass = "toughened"?

On 2014-07-03, Tim Watts wrote:

You might think I'm fussing - but we had a nasty case of another kid in
the village feel through some annealed glass (greenhouse type thin to be
fair) but got a VERY bad cut up arm. Did not occur to me to check but
now I have, it would be sensible to remedy or mitigate...

It isn't fussing. My mother fell through some secondary double glazing
on the French windows in our living room (not fitted by me, I might add)
which turned out to be plain glass. Fortunately she went through
backwards,
so just needed some stitches in her bum. If she'd fallen through
forwards
with her arms outstretched I shudder to think what might have happened.

I replaced all of the secondary glazing.

Ow.

Can anyone confirm if Safety Tempered glass = "toughened"?

I know mine is because I made sure it was when I bought
it 40 years ago and have lost a few of them, maybe 4 or
so out of a total of 26 panels, all patio doors.

That means my side doors are OK

Just the front door to worry about.