Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Need help identifying & locating moulding

On Wed, 02 Jul 2014 08:46:05 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 7/2/2014 6:09 AM, Doug Miller wrote:
"Mike wrote in news:lp0n16$a5e$1@dont-
email.me:

Puckdropper wrote:
I'm sure someone will have a name if I describe what I'm thinking of.
A piece of metal is filed to the profile desired and then scraped
along the wood to reveal the exact profile you're looking for.

Doug is handy enough (if I recall properly...) that it would not surprise me
to see him report that he did this at some point.

Thanks, Mike, yes, I have done that before. Not real keen on trying to produce thirteen feet of
moulding this way, though...

Looks like I'll probably have to suck it up and replace all 34 feet on that gable end. :-(

http://www.truittandwhite.com/~truittwh/sites/default/files/uploads/twmoulding_and_add-web.pdf

http://www.dykeslumber.com/wp-content/themes/dykeslumber/Dykes%20Moulding%20Catalog%202012.pdf

http://www.curtislumber.com/pdf/mouldingcatalog.pdf

There are many others available as well...I've not searched inside any
of these for your specific brick-mould but wouldn't be surprised if you
look extensively you'd find something pretty close.

The old Stanley #45 combination moulding plane is the cats' meow for
such things...

http://www.antiquetools.com/perm-col/south-wing/stanley41-45.html

If you were around the corner you could drop by here and use mine...

That's what you call an "early cordless router"