Posted to rec.woodworking
John Grossbohlin[_4_] John Grossbohlin[_4_] is offline

Default Need help identifying & locating molding

"Doug Miller" wrote in message

I have been looking extensively, including at all three of those sites,
without finding anything
that matches closely enough to avoid needing to replace the entire gable.
:-(

I'd anticipate that a large full service millwork shop would have a millwork
catalog that lists/shows pretty much every molding ever made... A
molding/shaper cutter manufacturer such as W&H may have such a catalog
also--they've been at it a long time!

Since you have a shaper it may be worth identifying a long standing shaper
cutter manufacturer and send them your sketch to see if they can identify
the standard molding number. They can likely provider cutters for either the
entire profile or the middle section (in the latter case the table saw and
round over cutters would suffice for the "edges"). It may not be the
cheapest solution but from a satisfaction standpoint it may be the best! I
speak from experience here as I've ordered molding knifes to make single
picture frames to get just the right look!

John