Ecnerwal

Default Chess set finish

(Arch) wrote: (about oil/wax finish)

..and in near first place for an easily renewed, attractive finish.
Arch

....That feels good to the hand. If I want plastic chess pieces, I can go
buy a set made of plastic; I don't need to coat wood in plastic until my
fingers can't tell the difference. If the set is extensively used, the
plastic will eventually wear off unevenly, and result in a refinishing
problem of significant proportions if plasticated. An oil/wax finished
set will be easily refreshed, and will be enchanced by the natural wear
patterns, as they won't be cutting through a layer of plastic. And they
will feel good to handle...

However, DWYL, TWYT, DWMTWYRW.