Posted to rec.woodworking
pentapus pentapus is offline

Default Titebond II followup

On 6/30/2014 11:52 PM, Leon wrote:
On 6/30/2014 7:25 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
A while back I posted that my latest bottle of T3 was whiter5 and runnier
than the last one. I wrote Titebond and they said the color was due to a
different filler and the lower viscosity was probably due to it having
been frozen in transit.

They sent me another bottle so I could try one that hadn't been exposed
to cold weather. If there was a difference in the viscosity I couldn't
detect it. I guess the new stuff is just a little thinner - maybe due to
the new finer filler.

Still works fine - just have to be a little more aware of possible runs.

I have a habit of finishing first, dry clamping, applying paste wax along
the glue line, un-clamping, applying glue, and re-clamping. So runs are
not difficult to remove. But if you glue up before finishing, you might
want to use T2 instead of T3.

I just exchanged e-mails with the TiteBond guys too. This is the poop
on all of the "extend" and TBIII glue.

I found that TB extend was real runny until I got to the part that was
not mixed. I advise you to do as instructed below to insure you are
getting the extended open time and that you can use the whole bottle.
Once you use the thin stuff and get into the thick stuff on bottom the
glue is worthless, like squeezing out frosting.

I don't really care for mixing before each use myself but below is what
is advised. My glue is non usable again from a bottle that is only 10
months old, that's 10 months from production date.

What he said,,

Titebond III, Titebond Extend and Titebond II Extend Wood Glues all
contain large particles to allow for longer open and assembly times.
These products can settle and it is recommended to mix well before each
use. Mixing must be done mechanically (i.e. with a stick) as tapping or
shaking the bottle will not affect mixing of these high viscosity wood
glues. Without mixing, the benefit of the larger particles will be lost
and use of the un-extended versions may be better for your use.

This is eye opening to myself.

I used to use a lot of glue and bought the Elmers by the gallon. Never
any problems.

Elmers seemed a little gummy and soft when sanded so I switched to
Titebond. I now have dead tubes of various Titebond flavors and figured
that it was something I was doing wrong.

What, I had not a clue until now.

How you stir a small bottle I can not imagine doing without creating a
mess.

No changes to the formulations for any of the Titebond Wood Glues have
been made. New labeling is to better identify difference between
product offerings. You mention three different products, Titebond III,
Titebond Extend and Titebond II Extend. I will send a sample bottle of
one of these adhesives to make up for your loss of product mentioned
below, but I cannot change the fact that these products will settle over
time and mixing is necessary to allow for longer useful life of the
adhesive for the whole container.

--
pentapus