Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Need help identifying & locating moulding

Doug - you are up against it. If you buy a molding kit of good bits for your shaper, you will spend about $400. No doubt you would need more than one bit to make that profile, but even if you came up with something that only required two bits, good shaper bits are usually about $100 (plus or minus) a piece. Regardless, your new moldings will NOT match the profile you have and you will have a quite an investment in bits and wood to make 34' of molding.

The bad news is that if you found an EXACT match of that profile, it still won't match. The cutters for making these moldings are cut and ground to an exact size, and then sharpened/reground as needed. Each sharpening removes a bit more metal, then a bit more, until the molding only closely resembles the first runs from the same bit. Side by side, not the same.

Different molding manufacturers make close approximations of classic patterns, but they do not match one another's moldings in dimensions or profile. You can see where this is going; chances of anything close a match is almost impossible. Chances of you buying cutters that would duplicate the exact profile are almost impossible.

As a contractor that does this kind of thing, I would simply buy the molding. If it was not thick enough, then I would simply add a piece of thick lath on the back to get it where I needed it to be.

When I run into something like you have, and need to repair more visible areas with one of a kind moldings, doors, windows, or anything else like that, I remove what I need from a less conspicuous area. Could you take the molding carefully off one side and use it on the other, then only buy what you need after that?

Regardless, that is some really CHUNKY molding. You would be making it out of 2X4 stock if you did it yourself, so I would wonder about the $2 a foot cost. At any rate, looking at the size of the stock needed, the purchase of cutters, the inability to match the profile needed EXACTLY and the time it would take to do it, I would just buy it and be done with it.

Robert