Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Need help identifying & locating moulding

Doug Miller wrote in
:

Tracing of profile:
http://www.milmac.com/images/Moulding.jpg

I need about thirteen feet of this, but I don't know what it is. The
best the guys at our local *real* lumberyard (i.e. not a big box
retailer) can do is a brick mould that is the right width, but
noticeably thinner with a diferent profile -- close enough that with
the original moulding on one end of the house, and that stuff on the
other end, nobody will ever notice, but definitely not anywhere nearly
close enough to mix on the *same* gable end.

Thus the only alternative so far, if I can't find anything to match
this, is to replace *all* the moulding on that gable end, about 34
feet of it, with the brick mould from the local yard. At six bucks a
foot.

I'm not liking that idea too much, and I'd welcome better ones.

I have a shaper, and a 2.5HP table-mounted router, so am not opposed
to making it myself if I can find an appropriate cutter. I think I can
mill my own from poplar, soft maple, or something similar for around
two dollars a foot -- which would make me more comfortable with
replacing all 34 feet.

Anybody know what this moulding profile is called? Or where I can get
it? Or where I can find a shaper cutter or router bit that will make
a similar profile?

Thanks in advance.

If you get close, maybe you can make a profiled scraper (they have a
name, I can't remember it) and finish the job. A piece of old saw blade
can make a pretty decent scraper, but if you're doing more than a couple
feet it'll get tiring fast.

I'm sure someone will have a name if I describe what I'm thinking of. A
piece of metal is filed to the profile desired and then scraped along the
wood to reveal the exact profile you're looking for.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.