Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller[_4_] Doug Miller[_4_] is offline

Default Need help identifying & locating moulding

Tracing of profile:
http://www.milmac.com/images/Moulding.jpg

I need about thirteen feet of this, but I don't know what it is. The best the guys at our local
*real* lumberyard (i.e. not a big box retailer) can do is a brick mould that is the right width,
but noticeably thinner with a diferent profile -- close enough that with the original moulding on
one end of the house, and that stuff on the other end, nobody will ever notice, but definitely
not anywhere nearly close enough to mix on the *same* gable end.

Thus the only alternative so far, if I can't find anything to match this, is to replace *all* the
moulding on that gable end, about 34 feet of it, with the brick mould from the local yard. At six
bucks a foot.

I'm not liking that idea too much, and I'd welcome better ones.

I have a shaper, and a 2.5HP table-mounted router, so am not opposed to making it myself
if I can find an appropriate cutter. I think I can mill my own from poplar, soft maple, or
something similar for around two dollars a foot -- which would make me more comfortable
with replacing all 34 feet.

Anybody know what this moulding profile is called? Or where I can get it? Or where I can find
a shaper cutter or router bit that will make a similar profile?

Thanks in advance.