ed french

Default Chess set finish

I'd probably use an oil plus wax finish. Film finishes like poly or
lacquer will eventually wear off. You might also do a search on this
newsgroup for pen finishes. There have been several discussions about
the best finish for something that is meant to be handled.

Grandpa jsdebooATcomcast.net wrote in message ...
bw wrote:
Grandpa" jsdebooATcomcast.net wrote in message

I'm expecting to turn a set of chessmen (pretty aggressive first project
in many years on a lathe) of probably Juniper and probably Maple, pine
or another light colored wood. I'm trying to figure out what would be a
good finish for the set. I'm considered wax as I think I can do a lot
of it while the pieces are still on the lathe but am unsure of how often
I may have to rewax it - never used wax on wood before. Any comments on
using wax for a chess set?

I've also considered lacquer or one of its derivitives or similar
products and dipping the pieces several times to build up a nice thick
finish & shine. Did this many years ago with a gearshift knob(60's,
what else?). I know how it'll turn out with this but really am curious
about using wax. FWIW, the chess board will be etched glass set in a
nice wooden box yet to be made.

If just decroative, then whatever finish looks good. For a working chess
set, then you need polyurethane. Suggest dark walnut for black pieces and
clear poly for white

Hmmm, good points you and Andrew make. It will be used on occasion but
not very often. In fact, if I whoop my oldest son's butt like I expect,
it'll probably get used even lessG. Sounds like Poly is the way to
go. Thanks!