Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Looking at buying a RAS

On 6/30/2014 4:44 PM, Puckdropper wrote:

I don't know what model it is. The seller didn't get a clear shot of the
model/info label, and hasn't sent me that information. It's a 9" model,
looks to be pre-AMF:
http://peoria.craigslist.org/tls/4512837082.html

I think it's either a GS or MBF, but that's only from looking at pictures
on vintagemachinery.org.

Wasn't really aware ofomh there was an actual 9" version, that'll be
fairly limiting in depth if a 10" blade really won't fit, but it's the
solid-carriage design and as long as it's not obviously just falling off
the rails for the price couldn't lose I'd guess.

The project I have in mind is cutting decorative dados in 4x4s for a
deck. It's a hassle to do it on the table saw (with a sled), so I
figured for the $100 or so a RAS sells for around here I could make that
part of the project much easier. You couldn't rent one for that.

Ayup, those are the kinds of things the RAS beats pants off TS
for--where it's so much easier to move the saw than the material.

Go for it...