bw

Default Chess set finish

Grandpa" jsdebooATcomcast.net wrote in message
I'm expecting to turn a set of chessmen (pretty aggressive first project
in many years on a lathe) of probably Juniper and probably Maple, pine
or another light colored wood. I'm trying to figure out what would be a
good finish for the set. I'm considered wax as I think I can do a lot
of it while the pieces are still on the lathe but am unsure of how often
I may have to rewax it - never used wax on wood before. Any comments on
using wax for a chess set?

I've also considered lacquer or one of its derivitives or similar
products and dipping the pieces several times to build up a nice thick
finish & shine. Did this many years ago with a gearshift knob(60's,
what else?). I know how it'll turn out with this but really am curious
about using wax. FWIW, the chess board will be etched glass set in a
nice wooden box yet to be made.

If just decroative, then whatever finish looks good. For a working chess
set, then you need polyurethane. Suggest dark walnut for black pieces and
clear poly for white