Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Looking at buying a RAS

dpb wrote in :

On 6/29/2014 10:22 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
I'm looking at buying a used DeWalt RAS. It's definately quite old,
but those DeWalts have a reputation for top quality. What should I
be looking for in evaluating the saw?

Which model, specifically? There are some DW that are quite old but
were just homeowner models I'd not pay much attention to; otoh, some
of them were "the real mcCoy"...

Secondly, for what purpose do you envision using it? I suspect the
utility you'll get will be in large part on what else you already have
and what you plan on doing going forward.

I've an old 16" one which I use for length-cutting and heavier work
that isn't nearly as simple to move the work thrue the TS and that it
doesn't have the capacity for. I've the room to have it set up in a
long bench with 8' either end for permanent support and the full barn
length alleyway in one direction if needs be. As long as I've the
room I'll never let it go, but it isn't the primary in terms of amount
of use by any stretch--but when it's needed, there's nothing else that
can touch it. It's heavy enough that it is, and stays, in adjustment.

As Leon, my first was one of the small 10" DeWalt's and I used it
exclusively for quite some time before buying the TS (I waited 'til
could afford the PM Model 66). It was adequate, but underpowered and
lightweight so took a fair amount of fiddling to keep it aligned.
But, there are things that are fair simpler w/ a RAS as compared to
the TS just as vice versa...

I don't know what model it is. The seller didn't get a clear shot of the
model/info label, and hasn't sent me that information. It's a 9" model,
looks to be pre-AMF:
http://peoria.craigslist.org/tls/4512837082.html

I think it's either a GS or MBF, but that's only from looking at pictures
on vintagemachinery.org.

The project I have in mind is cutting decorative dados in 4x4s for a
deck. It's a hassle to do it on the table saw (with a sled), so I
figured for the $100 or so a RAS sells for around here I could make that
part of the project much easier. You couldn't rent one for that.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.