Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Winterburn Doug Winterburn is offline

Default Looking at buying a RAS

On 06/30/2014 08:32 AM, Michael wrote:
On Sunday, June 29, 2014 10:22:57 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I'm looking at buying a used DeWalt RAS. It's definately quite old, but

those DeWalts have a reputation for top quality. What should I be looking

for in evaluating the saw?

Puckdropper

--

Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Related question. I bought an old Dewalt RAS for 40 bucks from a guy because he appeared to need the money. It does not have a blade or table, and I'm not sure how much work needs to be put into it. My question: If I give it away, am I liable in any way in case it is dangerous? Am I better off setting it by the curb for the trash guys, and even there, should I render it unusable?

A blade is easily obtainable.

The table is no big deal either. If it had one, it should probably be
replaced anyway. Not difficult to fabricate and install unless there is
some missing table mounting hardware.

If there are no other issues, I would keep it and tune it up and use it.