Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Roy is offline

Default Folding Chair pics, especially for CSonny

This is essentially a small folding rendezvous table that has two outside
members added to the central shaft. The backrest is attached to one end of
these members, and a cross bar to the other. You unfold the table and then the
backrest is raised into place. The crossbar rests against the lower part of the
X legs, hitting just past true vertical so the backrest leans back a bit. These
tables are very handy. I have one that also has a folding bottom shelf and a
couple others that double as footrests or water cooler stands.

Here's a link for the table plans. Just add the backrest assembly and Bob's
your uncle. Popular Woodworking and/or Wood also published an article and
plans a few years back.

http://paleotool.com/plans-projects-...rns/furniture/

For many years slat tables and chairs like the one seen in Bill's first picture
were made at a school for the handicapped in Missouri. I still have one table
and two chairs made at this school 30 years ago. The slat construction is not
authentic according to most sources I have seen, but they do make great plate
drying racks.

Regards,
Roy

On Fri, 27 Jun 2014 02:25:24 -0400, Bill wrote:

Two years ago I went to the Old-Tyme Music Festival in Great Plains, MO
and returned here describing a folding chair I saw there. CSonny, and
some others, expressed some interest in the chair at that time, so I
went back last weekend and returned with pictures this time. No one
present would take credit for building the chair I found (they were
using it), but they allowed me to take pictures. When I first saw it two
years ago, 3 different models of the chair were being sold--a
"double-wide" and a "rocker", IIRC, in addition to one like the one in
my photos.

http://web.newsguy.com/MySite/FoldingChair/chair.htm

Maybe it's a familiar design (but, it's not to me)? I hope you like it.
Someone used their noodle in coming up with the design...

Cheers,
Bill