Posted to alt.home.repair
harry k harry k is offline

Default How to truck 1,000 gallons of potable water to a residence

On Saturday, June 28, 2014 10:57:08 AM UTC-7, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 6/28/2014 12:20 PM, DannyD. wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote, on Sat, 28 Jun 2014 07:53:30 -0400:

So, you'd best to budget a LOT for motor fuel on
your project. Driving water uphill is not going to

I always wondered how much of that lost fuel mileage you
get back on the downhill drive, which is done essentially in
neutral for the entire 5 miles.

I realize it won't exactly cancel out, but, essentially you
get 100mpg (or whatever) on the downhill drive; while you
probably get something like half your city mpg on the uphill
climb.

Don't know. I'd dare to guess you will go through
rear axles and transmissions at rapid rate. Rented
truck might be best.

Why would that be? They are built for "work" use in a truck. I'm a farm boy fro wayi back and don't ever recall us losing an axle or tranny even driving the old junkers we used to (first one was a 34 chev 1 1/2 ton. I have been hauling overloads of firewood on my 62 1/2 ton, 68 1/2 ton (both junked due to worn out motors) and currently 89 F150 since 1976 with no tranny/axle problems.

Mountain roads? Spent two years hauling up to 7ton loads up down a 7 mile mountain grade with 8 and 9% grades with a KB5, no problems.

Harry K