Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat[_9_] Pat[_9_] is offline

Default How to truck 1,000 gallons of potable water to a residence

On Sun, 29 Jun 2014 05:14:13 +0000 (UTC), "DannyD."
wrote:

CRNG wrote, on Sat, 28 Jun 2014 19:28:54 -0500:

I think you are correct.
Your pumps are shutting down because they are running dry.

I'm pretty sure they're running dry, because one, for sure, is only
running for less than 2 minutes before shutting down, even after
having been off for five hours!

Here, you see it has "tripped" by the red light:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5487/1...08be46fd_b.jpg

The other well, after I allowed it to refill for 5 hours, lasted
22 minute s, but I timed the water meter and it was going at about
10 seconds faster than 5 gallons per minute at first, then about
at the halfway mark it was about 15 seconds less than five gallons
a minute, until it finally shut down at 22 minutes, averaging at
about 4 gallons per minute.

But, that was after a 5 hour quiet period. In practice, the well
*tries* to pump all day so the 'rest' period is only a half hour
or so between shutoffs.

Could any of your neighbors' pumps be pumping from the same
underground water? In other words, are your 5 hour rest periods
really rest periods? If you repeat that experiment at 5:00 am, will
the results be different? Now that I think about it, I can't even be
sure 5:00 am would make a difference since everybody's pumps might be
running 24/7 except for the shutdowns due to running dry. Sorry for
the rambling - I guess my only point is the rest periods might not be
rest periods if, for example, multiple 400' wells are using the exact
same aquafer.