Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default How to truck 1,000 gallons of potable water to a residence

On Sunday, June 29, 2014 1:14:13 AM UTC-4, DannyD. wrote:
CRNG wrote, on Sat, 28 Jun 2014 19:28:54 -0500:

I think you are correct.

Your pumps are shutting down because they are running dry.

I'm pretty sure they're running dry, because one, for sure, is only

running for less than 2 minutes before shutting down, even after

having been off for five hours!

Here, you see it has "tripped" by the red light:

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5487/1...08be46fd_b.jpg

The other well, after I allowed it to refill for 5 hours, lasted

22 minute s, but I timed the water meter and it was going at about

10 seconds faster than 5 gallons per minute at first, then about

at the halfway mark it was about 15 seconds less than five gallons

a minute, until it finally shut down at 22 minutes, averaging at

about 4 gallons per minute.

But, that was after a 5 hour quiet period. In practice, the well

*tries* to pump all day so the 'rest' period is only a half hour

or so between shutoffs.

You might want to consider a timer to better manage the on/off cycle.
You have a protection system on the pump, but still it can't be good
for the pump to keep starting every 30 mins to just run two mins.
I would think there is more wear/tear on the pump that way, and more
electricity used too. With a timer and some experimenting, you could
probably come up with a much more optimal cycling schedule. IDK what
the effect on the life of the pump is with the very short cycling,
but I know a timer is cheap compared to pulling and replacing a pump
on a 400ft well.