Posted to alt.home.repair
DannyD. DannyD. is offline

Default How to truck 1,000 gallons of potable water to a residence

DannyD. wrote, on Sat, 28 Jun 2014 19:59:04 +0000:

This document seems to apply to homes with their own water supply:
http://www.sccgov.org/sites/fmo/docs...-6-21-10-A.pdf

After a few hours of the circuit breakers being off, the old well
pumped for about two minutes before shutting down (which means
it's almost completely dry), but, luckily, the new well pumped
for 100 gallons before it shut down.
https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3878/1...8370d895_b.jpg

On the topic of the two tanks, one of which is for the fire
department hydrant, I have confirmed that mine is set up
to split horizontally across the two tanks (not by individual tank):
https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3874/1...c7ae7c42_b.jpg

The incoming water from both wells merges into a single pipe
which enters the top of just one of the water tanks:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2902/1...4a42f282_c.jpg

There is no other inlet, so, that water goes into both tanks:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5526/1...30413bde_b.jpg

Water exits at a single 4" pipe near the bottom of each tank:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3864/1...dfc14e72_b.jpg
https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3902/1...d4e01f32_b.jpg

From there, it goes to both the house & the wharf hydrant:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2901/1...81e4c58a_b.jpg

So, the *only* thing determining what water goes to the house
and what goes to the hydrant are the shut-off valve electronics:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2902/1...4a42f282_c.jpg
Which is set to turn off the house at about 1/3 of the total water:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2939/1...73239a06_b.jpg

So, gravity feeds the hydrant; but the house is fed by the
booster pump, which turns off when 1/3 of the 4,500 gallons
is left. Interestingly, about 1 foot is about 500 gallons, so,
at the moment, I'm about 500 gallons from full:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3908/1...b00f050c_b.jpg

Seems to me, if I "need" water, I can either pull it out of
the fire hydrant (which is below the house) or I can modify
the electronics (somehow) to just *not* turn off when 1/3
of the 4,550 gallons are left.

Does anyone know *how* that could be accomplished?