Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_47_] Bill[_47_] is offline

Default Folding Chair pics, especially for CSonny

Morgans wrote:

"Bill" wrote

Notice that all of the pieces rotate about one central "spindle".

Not correct. What appears to be one spindle all of the way through is
actually cut in two places. This allows the legs to fold out in a
"sawhorse" type of action, or like a big x. That is a small detail
that is the key to the design.

The seat portion is actually in two pieces, and forms only when the x
is brought into its open position, and the back half of the seat is
rotated up.

What would have been most valuable, is a video of the opening and
closing sequence in addition to the pictures. Next year perhaps? g

I will probably try to duplicate this in the next couple months, but
do not have time to try at the moment. Very clever design.

Thank you for your analysis. As no one is trying to keep it a secret,
I'm surprised the design is not more well-known. If nothing more, I've
proved that I actually saw the chair I described 2 years ago! Maybe not
as clearly as you see it.... : ) By the way, opening and closing the
chair is practically effortless, as it should be. However, it is not
what I would call light-weight. I think it's heavier than it appears.