Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default T 1-11 Siding application

"HerHusband" wrote in message

I live in Washington State also. We used rough sawn plywood
(basically T- 111 without the grooves) when we built our house back
in 2003/2004:
http://www.watsondiy.com/2003house.htm

You did a HELLUVA job!!

Thanks, we really enjoy it.

Nice having an apparently knowledgeable co-worker too. My wife helps
- fetches stuff...cleans grout sponges...holds while I nail...etc. -
but has never quite grasped concepts

Yep, my wife loves to do construction work too. She doesn't always know
the proper steps to take, but given a little instruction she'll be off and
running on her own.

Unlike the stories I've heard from many couples, we had a great time
building our house together. We also spent the last 10 years remodeling
her parents house together. It helps that we have similar design tastes.

A question about your shower tile. I'm going to be doing one pretty
soon, want to use black tile, preferably 6x6. It seems to be getting
scarce; for example, I am told that Florida Tile has totally
discontinued wall tile.

I can't say I've seen black tile locally, but I wasn't really looking for
it either.

We looked at several tile stores, but ended up buying ours from Home Depot
and Lowes. I think we got the green tile from Lowes, and the tan tile from
Home Depot, but after ten years I'm not sure now. As with most things,
those styles aren't available anymore. I did buy a few extra boxes of each
tile to have on hand if we need to replace a tile in the future.

I could use the larger floor tiles, I don't mind cutting, but trim
tiles can be scarce. And expensive.

Yep, trim tiles (bullnose, etc.) were not available for the tiles we
chose. It wasn't a huge problem since we were covering most of the edges
with wood anyway.

For the shampoo bottle niche in the second bath, I used an angle grinder
to round over the edges of the tiles. It actually worked rather well
since the tile was nearly 1/4" thick.

I didn't do that with the tile on the edge of our master tub deck.
Visually it looks fine, but there is a semi-sharp edge if you were to
fall against it or something. It hasn't been an issue for us.

I see that your shower wall tiles are butted to wood. All sides?

The tile extends out past the areas that get wet and butt into the
drywall. Then I have cedar trim covering the seam.

If not, how did you handle the edge?

There are quite a few detail photos in my old message thread on the John
Bridge tile forum:

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/...ad.php?t=12876

Take care,

Anthony Watson