Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Workin' down Unda

On 6/28/2014 2:12 AM, Jon Anderson wrote:
On 6/28/2014 8:09 AM, dpb wrote:

Just out of curiosity, how large a facility is it? The beef plant here
is about 6500/day while the hog facility about 50 mi away is 20000/day
just for comparisons...

Wow, nowhere near those numbers! Somewhere around 1500-3000 sheep a day,
and starting this next week the beef floor will be doing about 100 a
day. The new owners are planning to significantly expand beef
processing, but still not even close to those numbers. There are some
big stations in Australia and I presume, much larger abattoirs. But
around here, sheep and cattle run in much smaller numbers and all I have
seen, are free range. Farmers alternate crops with grazing of animals.

Still there'll be more than enough to keep ya' goin' methinks...

No sheep around here, though.

Not surprised they're trying to expand beef processing capacity; there's
been a couple major US chains recently come out w/ ad campaigns they're
switching to Aussie beef. The purported reason is they can't source
enough US "responsibly raised" beef but that's purely hogwash. It's
clearly a marketing ploy to play into a target audience who are totally
ignorant of production and get cheaper beef in the process. The implied
castigation of US-produced beef is a real stink in the producing areas
of the US right now...