Phil Johnson

Default wobble

thankyou, I do (did use) a power driver to run-in the screws through the
stock cast faceplate supplied with the lathe, but for the last couple of
bowls I used a new steel faceplate chuck adaptor, and noticed the same level
of perceived movement. Even on a small blank, say 4 x 2" I struggle to get
it square to the axis of rotation and worse when reversed and chucked for
hollowing.

"Ralph Heasley" wrote in message
A remote diagnosis is difficult, but if your spindle is within tolerances
but you are eccentric, then the problem may be the mating surfaces between
your spindle and the faceplate. Mounting the faceplate "true" on the

spindle
does not come from the threads but from the mating surface on the spindle
and the mating surface on the faceplate.

It is easy to check the mating surface on the spindle. If ok, mount the
faceplate and check the faceplate for runout. You may have warped or bent
your faceplate. It is easier than you think to do this with screws,
especially if you use a ratchet for leverage.

"Phil Johnson" wrote in message
Having returned to turning for the first time since school, (many years

ago)
and have managed to full our house with many small bowls, hollow forms,
couple of lamps, pens, and some thin platters etc. using up all my

hoarded
timber.
Four months into this renaissance, I have recently started to spot my

work
pieces "wobbling" whilst spinning, made very apparent when attempting to

cut
a 4 x 1mm groove and inset a contrasting band near the rim of a

part-turned
(outside only) 8" sycamore bowl blank (faceplate mounted), and was even

more
apparent when reversed and "chucked"
The lathe, tools and my current experience are all four months old, and

the
"wobble" seems progressive. The lathe bearings, and the chuck have just

been
checked by the supplier (Axminster) and found to be well within

tolerance.
Thus they have decided, the problem is me!
Any help, what am I doing wrong?