Posted to rec.woodworking
Sonny Sonny is offline

Default Opinions Wanted - Trestle Table

On Friday, June 27, 2014 8:25:19 PM UTC-5, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Forgot to ask, are you planning to glue these wide boards together
forming one large board, or do you plan to just butt the board edges
together and attach to the under structure?

Since all the major parts are so heavy, I thought to key the leg units to the trestle and loose-pin/dowel the tabletop boards together, as table leafs are loose-doweled to a fixed table top. With this wide of boards, I'm concerned with expansion and contraction, so I think they, individually, need to remain free floating.

Once in its permanent place, the table isn't likely to be moved, so the weight of the top (200+ lbs?) should allow it to remain in place, but I will attach it to the base with a loose/sliding connection of some sort. I haven't worked out that specific loose/sliding connection, yet, but it shouldn't be too technically involved to execute.

I never thought to apply the epoxy a little at a time, and why. Thanks for that key info.

Sonny