Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default I can't solder miniature connectors anymore...any tricks?

On 2014-06-15, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

[ ... ]

As as for the "can't solder" bit -- I've discovered that I am
not as good at wire-wrap as I once was, either. :-) Magnifying hood to
the rescue.

I have a couple wire wrap guns, but the custom battery packs are
shot.

These are the ones with a cylindrical gray battery pack which
bayonets into either the gun or the charger? I've got a few of those
(not purchased for the purpose -- part of a specialized toolkit
acquisition). And yes, the specialized battery packs are dead here too.
Since I have other options, I haven't bothered to try to make
replacement packs.

These are O.K. battery powered units. I was going to gut the
batteries, and run them from the bench supply.

I've got:

1) O.K. Machine-and-tool AC line powered gun with backforce
feature. (Bought *new* a long time ago)

2) Gardiner-Denver AC line powered gun without backforce
feature. From a hamfest last year.

3) Compressed-air powered gun without backforce feature.
I need to make a skinny hose for it. (Hamfest early this year.)

4) Metal squeeze-to-wrap Gun from Gardiner-Denver from a hamfest
fitted with the larger bits for 22 Ga wire wrap pins and tools.
From a hamfest a few years ago.

5) Plastic squeeze-to-wrap O.K. Machine and Tool gun. Fitted with
the small bits for IC sockets and the like. Another hamfest
item perhaps three years ago.

Of them all, the O.K. Machine and tool one is the most
comfortable to use. I've got to find it again. The rest I know where
they are -- most within ten feet of me at present.

What I really need to find are the wire-*un*wrap tools (hand
powered) for when I make a mistake, or just need to make a change.

I have (or had) a hand wrap tool from Radio Shack that did a decent
job of unwrapping.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.

---