Posted to uk.d-i-y
fred fred is offline

Default Pace desolder handpiece.

In article , Dave Plowman (News)
writes
In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Pace SX80 [...] element

I don't think I've ever encountered one, is it like a soldering iron
combined with a solder sucker?

Sort of. But has a hole up the middle of the bit etc connected to a vacuum
pump via a trap for the solder. They are brilliant devices. There are
cheaper ones on the market these days but I've no experience of them.

As you say, they are brilliant devices and as I am sure you know, any
electronics workshop where they will do rework will have one. Pretty
much guaranteed results every time.

It's made in the US. I've no doubt the spares are half the UK price there.
But I've had it for ages and this is the first replacement needed - and
it's not actually failed so I'll forgive it.

I remember Geoff of CET Ltd having a winge on here about some he had
bought and eventually discarded due to dubious reliability and the Pace
name rings a bell. Maybe a google groups search will confirm that and
offer some help but I don't use that service any more.

I've used Wellers in the past and while parts do wear out they are
available and are reasonably priced. Much higher initial cost however
and not of any help with your existing equipment.

Have you tried a winge at the manufacturer?
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .