Posted to rec.woodworking
Sonny Sonny is offline

Default Opinions Wanted - Trestle Table

On Friday, June 27, 2014 6:18:31 AM UTC-5, dadiOH wrote:

I wouldn't worry about any "entrapments", they just get encapsulated. Do

brush out as much as possible any visual rot but, again, any that remains

will be encapsulated and you should be able to remove enough of the visible

that the filler retains a good bond.

What I meant by entrapments is the split wood strands, that extend from one side of the crack to the other, still well attached to each side. These should help any epoxy bond well to the two sides and remain secure.

Can't speak about the green but if it has been cut for a year or more I
wouldn't worry about it.

The tree with rootball was dozed 2 yrs ago. I milled the log, back then, but only worked the rootball in the past 2(?) months. The rootball had been sitting out there all that time. The wood was still wet, when router planing. Now, all the surfaces feel dry and I hope the inside of the crack has dried somewhat, also, but the leg slabs are definitely wet.

The table looks much better wider, still don't like the down angle at one
end of one of the foot slabs.

I'll trim those leg units... just didn't get to it last night.

Sonny