#7   Report Post  
Posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster

Default Type of caulking for polycarbonate

On Friday, June 27, 2014 1:28:34 PM UTC-5, Swingman wrote:
On 6/27/2014 12:22 PM, Michael wrote:

Have this on my iPhone/iPad wherever I go:

http://www.palramamericas.com/docs/f...patibility.pdf

WOW! Probably one of the most useful charts I have seen on the net in years! Thanks for that one, Karl. As you know I do a lot of waterproofing, roofing, and repairs. Sealants are a big part of what I do for not on those tasks but for upgrades. When I replace glass in certain instances, I use polycarbonate. If I am working on a residential home door that has glass panels near a lock, I always replace with polycarbonate. And yet, never have I seen that chart or one like it. Really great stuff. I am wondering, do you think this

Note that many of those sealants in the description are silicone or acrylic based. The poly is too hard, chemical resistant and smooth for long term adhesion. It shrinks a tiny bit, the dirt gets in the joints and holds moisture and the joint fails. Most silicone sealants are not strongly UV resistant, and most acrylics are only mildly so.

Locally, we are using a BASF product, either Sonneborn NP1 or Sonolastic, depending on the engineering specs. Check this out:

http://www.bondedmaterials.net/assets/data/basf_np1.pdf

It will stick to just about any substrate if it is clean, is almost inert when applied, heat does not affect its performance at all, left as applied has extreme UV resistance, can be painted (only after about two weeks), and has an elasticity factor of an incredible 35%!

We use it on everything. The downside? In the right hands a nice bead looks OK. It is always colored, there is no "clear" so it is always noticeable. It is really difficult to apply when cold, and cleanup can be a real bitch. Allowed to dry, it is almost impossible to get off any surface including the adjoining areas where you are working, and must be CUT off your tools. Once dry it is impervious to most solvents. It has a short shelf life, so must be purchased as needed; I throw a few tubes a year away that have hardened in my truck tool box over the summer. Also, at $8 a tube, you don't just slather it anywhere, nor do you keep much on hand. But for what it does, it is great.

I have never seen your chart. I hang onto anything that makes me look like I know what I am doing, so that one goes in the file. Thanks!

Robert