Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default O/T power cuts and 3 day week around the 1970s

On 27/06/2014 21:30, bert wrote:
In message , Gary
writes
The pass is a pain for the bus companies. They get 35p for each pass
used. It was cut from 75p a couple or years ago.
It caused real pain when it was cut and normal fares have had to be
adjusted for it and services suffered.

That I believe is the central government payment. The major payment
comes from the local authority AIUI

Nope. That's the payment that the bus company gets. I was working for
one until last year that lost a significant percentage of their total
income due to this, and so had to cut back on the services outside peak
times, as well as lay drivers off and increase fares.

The local council can subsidise the *service*, but that's got nothing to
do with the pass, and most if not all councils are cutting back on the
subsidies, so if you live in a village outside town, the daily bus may
well now be weekly or not run at all. If you live in the suburbs, the
commuter peak hour buses will run, but off peak services will be cut to
the bone.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.