View Single Post
  #16   Report Post  
Posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster

Default Opinions Wanted - Trestle Table

On Thursday, June 26, 2014 8:22:20 PM UTC-5, Sonny wrote:
System3 recommends their epoxy not be used on green or wet wood. I suppose I'll have to figure out something else to, maybe end up cutting the crack out and gluing, unless I wait until it dries. I'm wondering, since the inside of the crack has strands of split wood and other "entrapments", the epoxy may/will do the job, despite the wood being green or wet.

Time to shift gears. Most folks have absolutely no idea how many different types of epoxies there are to choose from and how sophisticated this adhesive really is today. They have an epoxy for just about anything these days.. About 15 years ago, I reinstalled about 250' of 30" long 6"X6" limestone coping blocks (a fancy cap) back on top of a limestone masonry wall using a marine grade epoxy that was formulated for wet surfaces.

Every cell in my brain told me it wouldn't work, but I got it from a friend of mine in the concrete supply field that sold industrial caulks and adhesives for specialty applications and repair. I decided to trust him. Not only did it work, it worked very well. One hour set up time and I applied it to damp (pretty clean) smooth stone. Everything in my background of construction told me that nothing would stick to a wet surface, but this stuff was made for the marine industry, and it adhered VERY well.

It was somewhere in this family of products, no doubt:

https://www.google.com/search?q=epox...x-a&channel=sb

Robert