Posted to uk.d-i-y
Gary[_11_] Gary[_11_] is offline

Default O/T power cuts and 3 day week around the 1970s

On 26/06/2014 14:50, bert wrote:
In message , "Nightjar
\"cpb\"@" "insert my surname writes
On 2014-06-24, Nightjar "cpb"@ "insert my surname here wrote:

Also good for avoiding town centre parking fees, if you have
somehere on
a bus route that will take you into town and where the parking is
free.

Ooh. Now *that's* an idea.

Except don't you have to be 65 to get a bus pass?..

Age 60 when I got my first one. They have been tightening the rules
since they realised how much the scheme was costing :-)

The rules have remained the same. It was argued that it was
discriminatory to give a free pas to women at 60 but not to men. IMHO
nonsensical but there it was.
The statutory requirement has not changed. However some councils
notably the urban conurbations were so flush with money that they
could afford to offer over and above that. Now they are having to trim
back.

The pass is a pain for the bus companies. They get 35p for each pass
used. It was cut from 75p a couple or years ago.
It caused real pain when it was cut and normal fares have had to be
adjusted for it and services suffered.