Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Through-the-wall Air Conditioner

On 6/26/2014 9:16 PM, Pavel314 wrote:
I finally replaced the old through-the-wall air conditioner this morning, something that's been on my urgent project list for several years now. It works well and when the compressor goes on, the lights don't dim like they did with the old one.

My question deals with condensate. The old one, 40+ years old, had a drain hole for condensate while the new one doesn't. I checked the user's manual and it said that some condensate would gather in the pan at the bottom of the unit, which it has already after one day's use. They said this is normal, don't worry about it. They also state that sometimes, in periods of very high humidity, there might be some condensate overflow from the unit on the outside of the house.

My first thought was to drill a hole in the side of the pan and install an overflow tube. However, if they say not to worry about it, maybe I should save the time and trouble and just let it perform as it will.

Any thoughts about or experience with such things?

Paul

DO NOT drill any holes. It the AC is sitting properly, you won't get
any water in the house. The water collecting in the pan is picked up by
the fan ring and is slung onto the coil to help cooling.

Many brand new units were destroyed by errant hole drillers.