Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Workin' down Unda

On Wed, 25 Jun 2014 19:41:41 +1000, Jon Anderson
wrote:

On 6/25/2014 2:09 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 25 Jun 2014 06:39:02 +1000, Jon Anderson
wrote:

Not as bad as it sounds. Well, there is one job that I dread. Heads,
hooves, entrails, etc, get dumped into a big pit. Twin auger screws feed
this mess to one end, where another auger screw takes it up to the start
of the rendering process. This auger has been cracking at the bottom on
a fairly regular basis, and sooner or later I'm going to have to get
down in there, clean out all the 'stuff', and reweld.

Ick!

Well talk about timing, that ****er broke this afternoon. It's one of

Condolences.

those stay until fixed things. Nastiest friggin job I've ever done. At
least someone else had to pull the guts out.

Every little bit helps.

So it's a screw conveyor, which runs in a rounded bottom trough. Got
some high top rubber boots out of stores and work pants from the
laundry. Climb down the ladder, and it's a friggin mess. Wet and
slippery, bits of guts everywhere. I'm bent over facing down hill,
welding up to 2' away so can hardly see what I'm doing. Have a real nice
electronic welding hood my stepson gave me but can't get it to flip down
far enough. Wish I had my Huntsman with the large lens. With no firm
footing, feet slipping, and having to pull hood down with one hand just
so I can see through the lens, I'm one-handing the stinger, filling huge
gaps, all the while surrounded by the aroma of cooking sheep bits. And
the thing really got mangled this time. No way my repair is as strong as
the last. Told them it's going to have to come out and be fixed proper.
There's a short section of new conveyor that we can replace the bad
section with. I think something's out of alignment causing the problems.

Oh, yeah. If it keeps breaking, repair isn't the answer.

There's enough work, they're advertising for a fitter/fabricator to help
me out. Hope they hire someone before it breaks again....

Cross every appendage you have, wot?

Climbing up the ladder after I finished, I felt every single one of my
57 years... On the positive side, after handling this job, I can deal
with anything they throw at me.

The downside of that is that, now they can count on you, they will.

Learning to ignore things is one of the great paths to inner peace.
-- Robert J. Sawyer