Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default camera battery

On 26/06/2014 22:41, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , alan
writes
On 26/06/2014 18:37, polygonum wrote:
On 26/06/2014 18:08, newshound wrote:

Google is your friend

I get the feeling that no-one thinks that any more.

I'm finding that Google less useful for finding anything these days.
The first Google page is full of hits for other web sites doing
searches of multiple search engines and coming up with items from
companies at twice the recommended retail price. Alternatively,
hundreds of reviews for the things you want to buy but with very few
hits for anyone selling them.

For me, Google seems to have become almost unusable. There now seems to
be no way of turning off the once-optional 'predictive text' function
(well, you can try, but it has no effect). As a result, from the first
letter you type in, it gets excited and shoots off searching for what IT
thinks you might be looking for.

After finding (literally) millions of hits on something you're not
looking for, it then runs out of puff, seizes up, and displays an
'unresponsive script' message.

Eventually, it usually settles down, allows you to complete your typing,
and finally condescends to search for what you REALLY want.

On my system (W7 pro using Chrome), the Amazon link was the fourth hit
on searching "18287", hardly a sophisticated search expression. And two
of the higher ones were eBay.