Posted to rec.woodworking

Default wood dye

On Thu, 26 Jun 2014 11:15:16 -0700, Ralph E Lindberg
wrote:

In article ,
woodchucker wrote:

On 6/24/2014 6:37 AM, dadiOH wrote:
I've never had occasion to use dye so don't know how strong a color one can
get.

I have need to get some work to a semi-gloss jet black. I had planned to
use black paint topped with poly - and if I can find some black, alkyd
enameI probably will - but I hate the idea of having to use acrylic...I
don't have spray equipment so will need something I can sand to get a nice
surface.

Would black dye get me a jet black? I don't mind wood texture showing but
not grain pattern. How about dye topped with poly that has some black tint
in it? Would light wood (eg, poplar) work better or a dark one (eg, walnut
or mahogany)? Maybe Peruvian walnut?

All opinions welcome but experience gets extra points

I use dye often as a toner in topcoating.
I also use it for staining (dyeing).

For jet black, the best way is to get some india ink, that WILL get it
jet black.

Dye will not get it jet black. It will turn it black but it won't look
JET black.

Darker then any wood-dye I have used

Black lacquer - piano finish - then rub with rottenstone or similar
to dull the gloss