Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
PrecisionmachinisT PrecisionmachinisT is offline

Default 4140

"Randy333" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 25 Jun 2014 13:37:58 -0700, "PrecisionmachinisT"
wrote:

"Randy333" wrote in message
. ..
On Tue, 24 Jun 2014 13:15:32 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Tue, 24 Jun 2014 08:08:23 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Mon, 23 Jun 2014 20:22:44 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

PrecisionmachinisT wrote:
"Ignoramus20109" wrote in
message ...
i have some for sale 4140 bars

http://yabe.chudov.com/Steel-Blocks-...13824-0001.jpg

Without certs, it's scrap metal.

**** off .

PM is correct though. About the only time I can recall he was correct.

He would be correct should the specific job -require- certs, but for
anyone else and at any other time, it's not a problem. I think most
of us tend to overbuild, so unless a specific high performance is
absolutely required of the part, it's pretty much a moot point.

I've never needed a cert in 20 years of being in this business, but I
do not do any work for anything that drives or flys.

Never seen a cert at my last job either.

The metal suppliers I deal with all want extra cash for certs. I just
say no.

Remove 333 to reply.
Randy

If a customer specifies a particular alloy, then it is solely up to you to
insure that the correct material was indeed used; the fact that he did not
specifically request certifications is irrelevant if injury results due to
material substitution.

If you don't believe me, perhaps you ought to ask your lawyer or insurance
agent what he thinks.

Most times my customer will specify aluminum or steel. That's all.

You're good to go then.

If they want 1018, 4140, or 6061 I have invoices to say that's what I
bought. Nobody I deal with has ever wanted the heat number on a bar.
That's just the kind of work I do.

I've got a rack full of A36, what color do you want me to paint the ends?