Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg Guarino[_2_] Greg Guarino[_2_] is offline

Default How to take professional video in a shop setting

On 6/26/2014 12:07 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Greg Guarino wrote:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguarino/14509774201/

So - a couple of questions...

1 - would a Harbor Freight clamp work just as well?

No. This really would not have been possible with "two-handed-operation"
clamps, and in my experience, the HF "one-hand" clamps suck.

2 - would it make a difference if a good hardwood was used instead of pine?

If I was filming a piece of pine, I'd have used softwoods for the camera
mount. But the subject if the video was routing some hardwood pieces.
The "system" shown consists maple and red oak.

3 - Should a Sam Maloof finish be applied to the wood - would that make a
difference?

It makes panning and tilting smoother, but has no effect on static
shots. On the downside, with a Maloof finish, people are constantly
feeling the wood and shaking the camera.

4 - Where is the 30-something young lady with no shirt on that is supposed
to be behind the camera?

I gave the rest of the staff the day off.

Always looking to improve my skills and knowledge...

---