Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default How to sharpen a pencil

On 6/26/2014 8:37 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:
On 6/26/2014 12:51 AM, Gramps' shop wrote:
Reminds me of the instructor in my high school mechanical drawing
class who was fixated on how well we deployed his technique in
sharpening the lead in our mechanical pencils. We used small hand
held sanding blocks and I wish I would have saved one of them.

Larry

We used a little paddle with a pad of sandpaper strips on it. I still
have a couple. Although I don't remember the "wedge-shaped" tip rule. In
fact, we were taught to rotate the pencil as we drew a line.

---
protection is active.

Oh yeah.... The rotating the pencil became so second nature that I
think I still do that but did not realize it.

IIRC the wedge was to the extent of the needed width of the line.
Object, dimension/extension, cross section, hidden, center, border,
outline lines were all different widths.