Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Actual price/gallon for 12% Hasa Pool Chlorine (for SMS and theSilicon Valley)

On Wednesday, June 25, 2014 8:47:40 PM UTC-4, DannyD. wrote:
trader_4 wrote, on Wed, 25 Jun 2014 15:21:36 -0700:

I've never seen that table.

What makes you think it's right?

While it stands to logic in that the more stabilizer you have, the more

free chlorine you need to maintain its effectiveness, I didn't make that

table up.

I didn't say you made it up. I said:

A - IDK where you found it, who made it up, what it's based on, if it's right.
Based on your link, it came from a guy called ChemGeek, who says this:

"ACKNOWLEDGMENT: The original chlorine/CYA chart was developed by Ben Powell and is shown here based mostly on experience plus some conversations with chemists. "

That doesn't sound like much of a basis for anything.

B - I find it hard to believe it's right, because if you look
at the water quality recommendation from pool standards organizations,
public health depts, etc, I've never seen the chart or anything
that says your high levels of chlorine are needed. They typically
say to maintain chlorine at 1 -3 and CYA at 30 - 60 is recommended. If you
really need to take chlorine to 8PPM when CYA is at 70, to sanitize
a pool, you sure would think they would say so, because it affects
millions of pools. It would be a health problem if many of those pools
need 8 ppm to sanitize but were only at 2 or 3.

The original Chlorine/CYA "Best Guess" chart was developed by Ben Powell.

Richard Falk had refined and expanded on that original to produce the

Chlorine/CYA Chart by Chem Geek as described he

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...rine-CYA-Chart

The point is that most people don't even realize that the free chlorine

that they need depends on the existing CYA level that they have!

I think the point is that you're one of the few with these very high
target levels for chlorine and that's why you go through hundreds of
pounds of trichlor, gallons of chlorine, need 4 floaters in a pool.
The four floaters boggles the mind, because it's like a tiger chasing
it's tail. You're putting large amounts of chlorine in because you
think you need it with higher CYA. But with 4 floaters, you're also adding
CYA at about 4X the rate the rest of us are, which in turn leads you to add
even more chlorine.

I'd suggest that you're reading something from one source that even
they say is based on personal observation. IDK what they were observing,
but following that as if it were gospel doesn't sound too wise to me,
especially when the stds orgainzations, health depts, who's job #1 is
to make sure pools are adequately sanitized say nothing of the sort.

Anyone else with a pool here targeting 5 to 9 PPM chlorine levels,
regardless of how much CYA they have? I keep mine at 1 -3 and have
no problems, no algae, clear water. I only have to shock it rarely
too.