Posted to rec.woodworking
Sonny Sonny is offline

Default Opinions Wanted - Trestle Table

On Thursday, June 26, 2014 2:12:12 AM UTC-5, wrote:

Some of the wood we filled with epoxy was cracked all the way through. In some cases, we simply put a tape over the crack on one side if it wasn't a really thick board. But on the thick wood used for tops (about 2 to 2 1/2 inches) we were using literally gallons. Lew can give you the right backer rod to fill the cracks as needed so you don't use so much epoxy material. We used all kinds of materials, from soft cotton rope to closed cell foam rope used to back caulking.

I can't see through any of the cracks, after all. I flattened a plastic straw and tried to push, wriggle, prod it through in several places and from both sides. The straw didn't go through anywhere. It penetrated about 1" on one side and about 2" on the other side, along a 6" length of crack and that was all the penetration the straw would go.

I doubt the whole crack equals a measure similar to .25" X 20" X 3", but based on those figures, it would take 8.5 fluid oz to fill the crack. The space is probably half, or less, that volume. That's not much volume, nor would be much cost, based on System3's Gel Magic epoxy.

I prepped another tabletop board. It has a defected end, so the length of the tabletop will have to be trimmed to 10' 9". The width is now 46", which can be narrowed more, if need be. Later this evening, I'll trim the leg units' foot prints to about 42" and see what it looks like. Will load new pics this evening.

Sonny